Sunday, January 10, 2010

Triple Berry Tart Recipe!

School was cancelled last week due to snow, so I was home with the boys all day.  I do really well eating during the work week because my job keeps me busy and there is no food handy.  Needless to say I was a bit nervous about being home all day from an eating standpoint (I often think if I was a stay-at-home Mom that I would be obese!).  Anyhow, knowing that my sweet tooth would get the best of me at some point, I made this easy Triple Berry Tart to snack on:

Here is my recipe which has much less sugar than most 'normal' tart recipes.  Suggested alterations are noted below.  This is not necessarily a 'healthy' recipe, but a reduced sugar and reduced fat version. 

1 14oz. bag frozen blueberries
1 14oz. bag frozen raspberries
1 14oz. bag frozen blackberries
4 tbs. cornstarch*
1/3 cp. white sugar*
Topping:
1 cp. Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal
1/2 cp. instant oatmeal (plain)
1/3 cp. shredded coconut
2 tbs. whole wheat flour
10 pecan halves, finley chopped/crushed
1/3 cp. brown sugar
3 tbs. light margarine, melted (I used Parkay light sticks)

Toss frozen berries with cornstarch and sugar.  *Note that there was still quite a bit of liquid after cooking - next time I would increase the cornstarch or add tapioca to thicken the sauce (rather than increasing the sugar, as most recipes call for 1 cup of sugar).  Spread evenly into ungreased pie dish (I used a Pampered Chef stoneware pie dish).  Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.  While baking, mix topping ingredients in separate bowl until well blended (break up any large clusters of cereal as needed).  After initial berry cooking, remove pie dish from oven and spread topping evenly over top of berries.  Retun to oven and bake 30 minutes or until topping begins to brown.  Allow to cool somewhat before eating so sauce can thicken.  Enjoy!!

Still am trying to reduce the sugar in my diet, doing ok, but still craving sweets.  I'm wondering if I need to go cold turkey for awhile to allow the cravings to pass.

No comments:

Post a Comment